XNA Game Studio 4.0 is a very powerful tool developed by microsoft which is used to develop games. It uses C#, so you must have at least the express edition of C# installed.
Steps to install XNA Game Studio:
- Download the software from this link:
- Install the software.
- If you do not have C#, then go to this link and download the express version for free: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-csharp-express
- Now, to make a new project, open C#, click on new project and there should be a template “Windows Game(4.0)”
You will get something like this:
Now, you have created your first project in XNA. I’ll explain in brief what the program means:
- The first few statements are using statements which include essential files needed for creating games.
- GraphicsDeviceManager graphics;
In the first statement, graphics object provides access to, not surprisingly, the system’s video card.
The second statement enables you to draw 2D images(Called sprites)
- The graphicsDeviceClear(Color.CornflowerBlue); statement clears the screen with a blue colour.
- The Initialize method sets up methods to set screen size or to toggle full screen and all that stuff.